I have compiled a list of the basic equipment that you will need to stripe an average parking lot along with the approximate price. I have also estimated basic operating expenses for three months and an amount to set aside for labor costs. These are only estimates and may or may not apply to your situation.
1. Sealcoating machine – $2,500 – $20,000 (can also be applied manually with no equip.)
2. Striping Machine – $600 – $6,000 (see our articles on striping machines)
3. Trailer – $600 (get at least a 5 x 8 trailer)
4. Blower – $50 – $500 (hand blower vs. rolling blower)
5. Traffic cones – $5 – $15 each (you need from 6 – 10 cones)
6. Stencils – $100 (see “making your own stencils”)
7. Rollers, brushes, paint trays, measuring tape, angle tool, black spray paint, marking paint or crayon, roll of rope for making long straight lines – $200
8. An inventory of striping paint (white, yellow & blue). You can count on having to keep about $800-$1000 in paint always on hand. You will also need an inventory of sealcoat. One hundred gallons if you are doing mostly small jobs and five hundred gallons if you are handling larger jobs. ($200 – $700)
9. You will need approximately $500 to cover initial insurance, your business license and basic office related bills for three months.
10. If you pay a helper you will need to set aside enough money to pay them until you get paid. $500 should be enough.
Minimum estimated amount of initial capital needed – $3,000 *
If you already have some of the items above your startup costs would be less. The main goal is to make sure you have sufficient cash in the bank to fund your business until you can generate a positive cash-flow. Remember that running out of cash often means going out of business. Planning ahead can prevent this.
To see more of our parking lot striping articles CLICK HERE.